Mt. Hehuan East Peak is an easy hike in Taiwan and can be reached in under 1 hour by most tourists and visitors. The 3417 meter East Peak is #35 on Taiwan’s 100 Peak list. Because you are starting at a height of 3150 meters, you only need to climb 300 meters to reach the top.
After you cross the Wuling Pass on Route 14 (jia), start heading down the road and you will soon come to the Hehuan Mountain Tourist Center. Find a parking spot and follow the signs across the street towards the Ski Villa and Song Xue Lou lodge/hotel. The signs are clear and it’s just a 410 meter walk to the trailhead.
An Easy Hike in Taiwan from the Parking Lot
After you walk past the entrance to the Song Xue Lou hotel, you will see steps heading up through the grassy field. This is the trail entrance to the East Peak of Hehuan Mountain.
Stairs to the Top of Hehuan East Peak and a Ski Lift
The trail heads up with a mixture of stairs and dirt path. It doesn’t look like an easy hike in Taiwan, but it is basically a straight ascent to the peak. The mountain to your left is Chilai North Peak and Chilai Main Peak.
On the path, hikers will notice an abandoned and rusted out ski lift. At one time, you could ski on Mt. Hehuan. There was one lift and one slope and it ended down below at the ski lodge. However, due to landslides, earthquakes and typhoons, the lift was abandoned in 1985 and hasn’t been used since. There also is a lot less snow than there used to be on Hehuan. It’s possible to walk into the old ski lift entry area, but be aware the brick structure is unstable and leaning. See the photos below…
At the Hehuan East Peak-Still an Easy Hike in Taiwan?
After about 30-60 minutes you will arrive at the top of the East Peak. Look north and you will see the Hehuan North Peak. Look northwest and you can see the Hehuan Main Peak as well as Route 14 going over the Wuling Pass.
Congratulations are in order as you have reached #35 of Taiwan’s 100 peaks. Piece of cake!!!!! An easy hike in Taiwan? You decide.
Time to Peak: 30-60 minutes
What To Bring Up Hehuan East Peak
Although it seems short, don’t underestimate the east peak. The weather can change quickly. In the spring and summer, you may get rain. During autumn, you may get clouded in. In the winter you may get clouds and cold temperatures.
Always be prepared for the elements. Here is a short list to pack in your day pack:
- 1 liter of water. Keep hydrated. You are over 3,000meters! It’s easy to get dehyrdated at that altitude
- hat and sunscreen
- rain gear
- some food to snack on (apples, oranges, nuts, crackers)
- good hiking boots or shoes. No sandals
- warm clothes depending on season. In winter, it snows up there!
- your cell phone for an emergency
Car is the best way to get there.
- From National Highway 3, turn onto National Highway 6. (It starts about 30 minutes south of Taichung City).
- Drive Highway 6 until it ends in Puli (30 minutes)
- Take a left and start heading up provincial route 14.
- It takes about 45 minutes to get to Mist Plaza below Ching Jing Farm. There is a Starbucks there.
- From Mist Plaza it is another 45 minutes to the Wuling Pass. It’s a winding and tight road.
- Cross over Wuling Pass and head downhill for about a kilometer. You will see the Hehuan Tourist Center on your right. There is a parking lot there where you can leave the car and explore the area.