Once you are legally hired in Taiwan, you will receive an Alien Resident Certificate or ARC. This card (shown below) is your ID card that proves you’re a legal working resident of Taiwan. Here are a few important facts about your ARC card.
- Once your paperwork has been sent to Taipei by your employer, you will have about a 10 day wait for the official paper statement to be sent back to your employer. The employer has a copy and the employee (you) gets a copy.
- Once you receive your copy, you have up to 14 days to go to the local foreign affairs office with 2 passport sized photos, 1500NT, the official paper statement, and your passport. After submitting all the necessary documents, the Foreign Affairs office will give you a receipt with a date stamped on it. That is the date you return to the office to pick up your ARC card. This is usually 10-14 days. Some schools may do this for you, but others will require you to do the legwork.
- If you lose your ARC, you can get a replacement for a 1500NT fee.
- The ARC allows you to...
1. get an National Health Insurance card
2. open a bank account
3. get a Taiwan driver’s license
4. get a cell phone plan
5. sign up for Internet services
6. buy a car or scooter legally
7. start paying taxes